OUR PLASTIC

In 1949 our founder came up with the idea to use scraps of nylon plastic and cotton to make rag-rugs. Since then, Bolon, and the world, has changed but the idea of an adaptable company with a sustainable mindset remains. Sustainability is, and will always be, part of our DNA. Plastic as a material and its industry on the whole, has over the last decades been the topic for debates and often highlighted as a major factor in climate change.

This information focuses on Bolon’s position on plastic, our product and its content, the difference in types of plastic, fossil and bio-based raw material, recycling and more.

OUR PLASTIC

Bolon uses construction plastic, a very resource-efficient material. The light and strong material only require a few kilograms of material per square meter and is therefore excellent for our design flooring. The unique combination of light and strong adds to the great characteristics.
Outstanding wear resistance in combination with water resistance keeps our flooring beautiful over long periods of time without the need for surface treatment. Low emissions during its entire lifespan and absence of phthalates make our product a non-hazardous flooring option, suitable for all kinds of spaces.

RETHINKING PLASTIC – DEZEEN IN CONVERSATION WITH HÅKAN NORDIN

THE CONTENT OF OUR FLOORS

Bolon flooring contains PVC plastic as polymer, chalk as filling and non-hazardous additives. The average floor consists of 74 percent non-fossil material. The main ingredient, chalk, is non-fossil based as is the biggest part of the PVC which comes from salt. Furthermore, additives consist of more than half of non-fossil material. The remaining 26 percent is fossil material coming from oil or gas.
All of our products contain on average 23 percent recycled material which is a mix of recycled filling, recycled additives and recycled PVC. So to summarize, the majority of our product is non-fossil material, and all products have recycled content.

VIRGINMATERIAL

77%

RECYCLED (AVERAGE)

23%

FILLING (CHALCK)

40%

POLYMER
(PVC)

37%

NON HAZARD ADDATIVES

23%

NON-FOSSIL

74%

FOSSIL

26%

Plastics actually take part in the reduction of carbon emissions in many parts of society. The use of plastic enables food to stay fresh over longer periods, make cars lighter thus making them require less fuel. The wings on wind power plants are made light and strong. The list of plastics playing a positive role can be made long.

CONSTRUCTION PLASTIC AND POLLUTION

The problem with plastic pollution in our seas is a serious global issue. But there is a clarification needed when it comes to the difference in plastics. The overwhelming majority of plastics found in oceans are disposable; bags, cups and other items produced for single-time use. In addition to these plastics fishing nets and microplastic from fleece garments, residue from car tires and certain cosmetic products create problems in the oceans.

Bolon however produces flooring out of construction plastic. This type of durable plastic can also be found in long-lived objects such as car interiors and buildings. Construction plastic does not contribute to the general pollution of oceans and the high wear resistance prevents the release of microplastics as our floors come with a 10-15 year warranty.

When it comes to material properties, there is no difference between fossil- and bio-based plastics. The waste problem and the need for recycling are the same. This means that the concept of a closed-loop is equally important when producing fossil or bio-based plastics as the difference lies within the building blocks of plastic, not the plastic itself.

Plastic can help
create more energy-efficient products that reduce the need for fossil fuels
HÅKAn NORDIN, HEAD OF SUSTAINABILITY IN INTERVIEW WITH DEZEEN

THE BOTTOM LINE

PLASTIC, CLIMATE CHANGE AND RECYCLING

Another major global issue is climate change. Due to its partial origin (oil or gas), plastic and its effect on climate change are subjected to constant debate. When fossil material like oil, coal and gas is burnt to produce electricity, heat or drive vehicles the results are carbon emissions that contribute to climate change.

Read more

FOSSIL-BASED VS
BIO-BASED PLASTIC

A current discussion is the transition from fossil-based plastic to bio-based plastic as over 99% of the world's plastic derives from fossil sources.

Read more

PVC OF TODAY, AND TOMORROW

Throughout history the production of PVC has been linked to environmental problems. Thanks to technological advancements and a shift to non-hazardous additives modern PVC plastics are nothing like the early days and the problems are reduced.

Read more