material

MATERIAL

MORE RECYCLING
 LESS IMPACT

For over 20 years, we have been working to create environmentally-friendly design floors. Today, for example, we use our own, and indeed others', factory waste in the production. 2016 – 2018, the number of collections with recycled materials increased from 36% to 100%. At the same time, the total proportion of recycled materials increased by over 500%. And of course, we are proud but not yet satisfied.

0%

of our collections contain recycled materials

0%

increase in proportion of recycled material 2016–2018

0%

reduction in industrial waste 2016–2018

LOW-INPUT DESIGN –
INNOVATION À LA BOLON

In 2018, our raw material demand dropped by 750 tonnes via recycling.
This means that the same raw material is sufficient for a greater floor area and our environmental impact decreases. This gives low-input flooring. And, we love it. Thanks to the internal passion and inventiveness, recycling is an integral part of our production. And the proportion of recycled materials will only increase in the coming years. This is how we create low-input design from industrial waste.

OUR RAW MATERIAL

Our plastic raw material, PVC, is made of 57% salt and 43% oil that, via chemical processes, forms a polymer. The result is a durable plastic that is free from harmful chemicals such as phthalates and heavy metals. By using salt, significantly less fossil raw material is required when compared to other plastics. The unique polymer structure also makes the PVC 100% recyclable multiple times after its long useful life.

Our floors consist of 39% calcium carbonate, 37% PVC, 18% plasticisers, 2% fibreglass and 2% stabilisers and 1% pigment. From a fossil perspective, this means that the floors contain 33% fossil raw material, which comes from plasticisers and PVC, the remaining 67% of the flooring contains inorganic material. Of the inorganic materials, the majority are salts to which there is very good access in the Earth's crust.

Our polymer is only purchased from vinyl manufacturers that meet the requirements for Best Environmental Practice PVC. The participating factories are energy efficient and have small emissions during production.

calcium carbonate

39%

fibreglass

2%

stabilisers

2%

pvc

38%

pigment

1%

plasticisers

18%

GOOD DESIGN IS DESIGN THAT LASTS

A Bolon floor is both long-lived and hardwearing. For this reason, it always comes with a 10 or 15 year guarantee. And it is the material itself, combined with the unique structure, that gives the product its impressive properties.

Moreover, the design contributes to a longer useful life. Good design is, after all, design that lasts longer. We have also laid the foundations and created the conditions for circular product management, by developing toxin-free flooring and introducing glue-free installation for certain applications.

STEP BY STEP FOR
ENVIRONMENTALLY ADAPTED FLOORING

0

Develop new thread for better durability and longer life

0

Open our own factory for all parts of the production and transition to 100% renewable electricity

0

New warehouse is built, resulting in reduced transports between the plants

0

Start new integrated recycling facility, reducing both resources and climate impact

0

Start purchase of external production waste

0

Purchasing of raw materials from Best Environmental Practice companies

0

All of our collections contain recycled materials

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

IS PVC REALLY GOOD?
The PVC we use comes from environmentally certified factories that have low emissions and efficient energy use. Moreover, Bolon's flooring has been free from toxins for many years, without additives such as phthalates and heavy metals. The plasticisers used today are even permitted in children's toys.
HOW MUCH FOSSIL MATERIAL DOES YOUR FLOORING CONTAIN?
Our flooring consists of about 1/3 fossil raw material, which is significantly less than other vinyl flooring. The remaining 2/3 consists of salt and calcium oxide, of which there is a very good supply and it is also harmless from an environmental standpoint.
IS PLASTIC A GOOD MATERIAL FOR FLOORING?
Plastic can be a beneficial material for flooring in particular. This totally depends on the type of plastic used and how it is handled. The plastic we use is hardwearing with a 10 or 15 year guarantee. Our raw material, PVC, can be recycled up to seven times and it is completely free of additives such as phthalates or heavy metals. Our floors have low emission values and are, therefore, approved for hospital environments. The floors are also easy to clean, usually, plain water is all that’s needed to clean them. Based on these facts, a plastic floor from Bolon is many times a good environmental option compared to other flooring.
WHICH PRODUCTS CONTAIN RECYCLED MATERIAL?
All of our collections contain recycled materials. The proportion of recycled material varies between 10-30% of the total material used.

DOWNLOAD OUR SUSTAINABILITY REPORT HERE